Friday, June 6, 2008

A Sappy Letter to my Adoring Fans (Okay, maybe not adoring but the fact that I have HAVE fans is way cool!)

I received a note from a friend about my blog. She loves it, she is addicted. She is always laughing at my antics and can’t get enough of Divorce Land.

I smiled when I read her words.

And according to the counter on my profile, roughly 500 people have checked this site out so far. Several people have emailed me and many of their sentiments echo hers.

It’s almost a little overwhelming at times.

One guy wrote to me, identifying himself as my number one fan when he did, and said, “I love your attitude. Shit happens. Life goes on.”

He has apparently had some trials and tribulations of his own, not divorce specifically but just life in general. He shared that my perspective has helped him view his own life more positively. I’ve helped him look for the humor in his own life. Every day.

Honestly? That’s a pretty profound thing to hear from a complete stranger.

And because of this feedback on my blog, and several other emails just like these, I feel compelled to digress briefly from my essays to simply acknowledge all of the wonderful people who have taken time out to simply let me know that I have made them laugh.

From my daughter’s high school friends, to a group of college boys, to my mom’s co-workers, to people who just stumbled across Divorce Land from a Google search. The demographics run the gamut in regard to who I’ve heard from. Who my words have touched.

I know I say I’m an ego maniac but I’m really just a woman with a lap top who never runs out of things to say. (And that is not just my writing. You should listen to me, I could yak forever when you get me going. I never shut up.)

The glimpse into my life I have provided in this blog may appear to be endlessly funny, or insightful, but I can assure you, there are certainly many many days where I just go to bed, turn off the light and think, “Boy, this day sucked.” For whatever reason. Sometimes its for something significant. Sometimes it might just be because I have a bad case of diarrhea. (Hey, like my number one fan said. Shit happens.)

But I’m just like everyone else. I laugh. I cry. I bounce back. I yell. I get a grip. I pity myself. I acknowledge my faults. I blame others. But that’s just part of being a person. We all get to try on every emotional response to life from time to time. Oh joy. Fun times, huh?

The only thing I think I do differently from most people, is just that I write about it. And when I do write, I try to pick something funny. Or if the topic isn’t funny, I try to find a positive slant. Something that I learned through the experience. Or some shred of hope I uncovered in the process.

I don’t always succeed in living that out. But I think that’s all we can do as human beings.

Is just try.

Because after thirty five years the only thing I know for sure is that some days go well. Others just don’t.

But it’s important for us to have those bad ones. Just so when the good ones come, we can realize just how very good they are.

***********************

Thank you everyone for reading! I’m working on Monday’s essay and it should be a good one. I decided to try this dating thing again. And Sweet Mother of France! (As Sonja would say/text) . . . has it been an adventure . . .

See you Monday!

~Audra

No comments: