Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Chapter Three; Three Happy Girls

Susie and I adopt Annie. We spend the rest of the night comparing notes, ordering another round, and marveling at the irony of our simultaneous marital crisis.

None of our stories are the same, there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to the demise of any relationship, and the three of us are no exception. Our own stories are a cocktail of misteps, bad decisions, and years of resentments that all culminated in sending the three of us hurtling down the Divorce Land highway.

"He wants out. He just wants out," Susie states matter oh factly. "But I am going to fight for this. When I said until death do we part, I meant it. He says that he thinks I am fighting only because I am afraid of divorce. Give me a break! I told him, 'I am not afraid of divorce! I have many blessings in life, a great job, two beautiful children, a supportive family. If you do this, I will make it. I will survive. And I will go on. I don't want a divorce because I LOVE YOU, you asshole!' "

Annie and I practically drown in our laughter at Susie's candor. When we recover, Annie offers, "Well, I wish I were as resolved as you. I am not sure how I feel. I would like to stay as well, but I can't stay in this very empty existence any longer. He ignores me, he absolutely ignores me. I am like a piece of furniture, something to show off, and nothing more. He is constantly traveling, and I am so lonely. Aren't you supposed to get married to be with someone? I am more lonely married than I ever was single, and this is just wrong. It's just wrong. I can't do this, I am going to be 40, I don't want to spend the rest of my life alone. But if I stay here, I will. I will be alone. We are supposed to go to the Carribean next week. Ten days. How? Ten days in paradise, but living a hellish existence."

"The Carribean?" Susie asks and cocks an eyebrow. "Hell, Audra and I will come with you. Screw him! Bring us!"

More laughter.

And so from the outside, we are just three happy women having our own little Sex in the City get together at a local hotspot. But the truth is we are witnesses to an end, and there are many, many tears beneath the smiles.

No comments: